The Grand Valley is a year-round destination for biking enthusiasts, and a very popular activity for our residents, as well! Unfortunately, hundreds of bikes are stolen in Mesa County each year, and many of them are worth hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Whether your investing in high dollar equipment, or getting your child a bike to ride to and from school, consider registering your bike with the Grand Junction Police Department. We recover a large number of stolen and abandoned bikes throughout the year, and our registration process allows us to reunite them with the rightful property owners.
The process is simple:
- Bring your bike to our lobby during business hours--no appointment necessary!
- We'll assist you in completing a brief form with your contact information, the serial number and description of the bike, and it's estimated value.
- We'll issue you a sticker that you can display on your bike to indicate that it's registered with our agency.
- Best part; it's completely free of charge!
In the event that your bike is stolen and we recover it, we'll be able to use your registration information to return it to you.
Other helpful tips to keep your bike safe:
- Use a D lock or Kryptonite lock to secure your bike.
- Lock tight to an immovable object and keep the lock off the ground.
- Try to lock your bike up indoors whenever possible. If you must lock your bike outside, be sure to lock it in a well lit area and preferably near surveillance cameras.
- If you choose not to register your bike with us, be sure to keep a record of your serial number, in case you need to report it stolen.