Manuals & Permits

Construction Within Public Right-of-Way

A permit for construction within public right-of-way is required for any work within the public right-of-way of the City of Grand Junction. Right-of-way means a strip of land acquired by reservation, dedication, forced dedication, prescription, or condemnation and intended to be occupied by a road, crosswalk, railroad, electric transmission lines, oil or gas pipeline, waterline, sanitary storm sewer, and other similar uses; generally, the right of one to pass over the property of another.

Public right-of-way includes:

  • Alleys
  • Curbs
  • Gutters
  • Public streets
  • Sidewalks
  • Utility easements

Types of work that are affected include, but are not limited to:

  • Curb and gutter
  • Driveway changes
  • Irrigation lines
  • Sanitary sewer
  • Sidewalk
  • Storm sewer
  • Utility work
  • Water lines
  • Any activity that impedes or obstructs vehicular traffic or pedestrian movement

Cost & Application

The application fee is due at the time of submittal. In most cases, the performance/warranty guarantee is required to be submitted with the application. A traffic control plan provided by a professional traffic control company, and a map indicating the location of the work are necessary to be submitted with the application. 

For more information, please contact JC Reagan, Construction Inspector, at 970-261-9740.

Mesa County Building Department

The Mesa County Building Department serves unincorporated Mesa County as well as the towns of Debeque, Collbran, Palisade, and the cities of Fruita and Grand Junction. For more information, please call the Mesa County Building Department at 970-244-1631.

Permit Application for Special Events

Prior to any activity such as a parade, street dance, craft show, run/walk, etc., that takes place within the public right-of-way, the City must issue a special event permit. For more information, visit the Special Events Permit webpage or call the Community Development department at 970-244-1430. For events within the public right-of-way and in the downtown area, contact the Downtown Development Authority at 970-245-9697.