Zoning and Development Code Update
The City of Grand Junction will be updating the Zoning and Development Code (Z&DC) over the next 10 to 12 months. This project is an important next step in the comprehensive planning process, focused on making sure that the rules that govern land development (zoning and subdivision regulations) support the growth and development priorities that we identified as a community in the One Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan, which the City adopted in 2021.
The preliminary goals of the Zoning and Development Code update project include:
- Updating the City’s regulations to better reflect the goals and policies described in the 2020 One Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan, especially those Key Principles related to Responsible and Managed Growth and Strong Neighborhoods and Housing Choices.
- Achieving a higher level of efficiency, consistency, and simplicity.
- Identifying constraints and opportunities for affordable and attainable housing, consistent with those identified in the City’s recently adopted Housing Strategies
The City of Grand Junction’s new Zoning and Development Code will be drafted in two phases over the next year, beginning with a Phase 1 Code Assessment Report that identifies needed updates to the Code, and followed by the substantive revisions to the Z&DC in Phase 2.
Community involvement is essential to this project. There will be many opportunities to provide ideas and feedback about the project, both in-person and virtually. Each phase in the project will include draft documents that will be shared with the community for input and comment.
You can find information about upcoming project meetings on the City’s website, and if you would like to have project information emailed to you, please let us know by emailing us.
- One Grand Junction Comprehensive Plan
- Current Zoning & Development Code
- Grand Junction Housing Strategy
Take a Survey!
The City of Grand Junction would like to hear from Grand Junction residents, business and property owners, and any other interested persons regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the current Grand Junction development regulations. Take the survey online (disponible en Español)!
Keep visiting this official project page and join the mailing list to stay up-to-date on project updates and events.
Contact the Community Development Department at ZoningCodeUpdate@gjcity.org or 970-244-1430.